On 13 November 1915, Spencer and Julie Penrose presented a statue of a little boy holding a leaky boot to the citizens of Penrose. Main Street was filled with citizens of Penrose and the surrounding areas. The hitching posts were full of horses that people rode into town and wagons lined the streets. The crowd was delighted to see Mr. and Mrs. Penrose and all were dressed in their Sunday best.
School children led a parade, held banners and flags, and sang songs. Old soldiers also marched in the parade and many speeches were given. The flag was raised during the ceremony.
The statue was placed at the intersection of Broadway and Fremont streets. It stood on a small pedestal inside a larger fountain surrounded by a white metal picket fence. Water spouted from the toe of the boy’s leaky boot and fell into the fountain below.
The statue was stolen by pranksters many times and in June 1969 it was kidnapped again. It was found months later by highway cleaning crews. The Little Boy had broken arms and was quickly repaired. This time, he was placed on Broadway Street near the Post Office.
The story of the little boy is not known for sure. He may have been a drummer boy in the Civil War who brought water in his leaky boot for thirsty wounded soldiers. The statue is a monument to his caring and dedication.
There are only 24 known statues of the Little Boy in the world. He is made of bronze and is now owned by the Senior Citizens of Penrose. In Spring of 2005, he was presented to the Penrose School and now has a place of honor inside a display case at the new school.